Pages

Monday, March 10, 2014

Jake Undone by Penelope Ward ♥♥♥♥.75



This is the first book I’ve read by Penelope Ward; I know I should have read Gemini first, but it said it was a standalone so I figured I would be okay. I do now know a bit about the characters from Gemini, but I think it was well worth it. I am so glad I read Jake Undone; the book was amazing!

Nina moves in with three roommates in Brooklyn for nursing school. She has a few phobias that make living in a big city, and life in general, pretty difficult. That is until Jake, her pierced, tattooed, hot engineer of roommate, makes a bet with Nina. He’ll be her math tutor, but for every grade less than an A Nina has to face one of her phobias.

As Jake and Nina spend time together and Jake helps Nina with her phobias, Nina comes to find that Jake’s scary (albeit sexy) exterior doesn’t extend to who he is on the inside. And Nina’s feelings for Jake grow stronger every day. But with Jake leaving for Boston every weekend she knows he must be hiding something from her. Just when Jake and Nina decide to things a chance, Jake’s secret comes out and Nina’s not sure it’s something she can handle.

The chemistry between Jake and Nina is incredible. And Jake has to be one of the hottest book characters of all time. That bad boy exterior is irresistible. Nina’s fears and insecurities concerning Jake are so real, and while reading you can’t help but feel her pain too. And halfway through the book we switch to Jake’s perspective, and you feel all his pain and insecurities too. We also get good and happy times through Jake’s perspective as well.

Jake Undone was an emotional roller coaster, but it was well worth it. It was so close to perfect. The only thing I would say that pulled me out of the story (other than annoying people who understand that a book in hand  means I don’t want to be bothered) where the dialogue could have used more contractions. People just don’t say “I am” very often unless they are trying to emphasize something. Otherwise, it was a pretty perfect story.

Now, I should probably read the first book, Gemini, and then My Skylar when it comes out in July. But for now I’m a bit addicted to Jake.



*Disclaimer: Some of the sex scenes were a bit too much for my taste. But the book was well worth some of what I found to be out of alignment with my taste. This book definitely was isn’t meant as YA. Mature readers only :)

Jake Undone on Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment