Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Isn’t She Lovely by Lauren Layne ♥♥♥


So, before I get to the book, I have to say that this is my first ever blog and post. It’s also the first time I have written, at length, my opinion on book since probably elementary school. I will warn before any spoilers, but try to keep them out all together since you may want to read some of these stories. And I think I will rate the books on a scale of 1-5 using the ♥ symbol in the title for the post about the book.

Now, back to the books…

Lauren Layne gives away the way the story is going to go pretty quickly. Our couple, Stephanie and Ethan, need to write a screenplay for a class that Stephanie is looking forward to and Ethan is taking outside of his major to avoid his family for the summer. Ethan is a Manhattan socialite and Stephanie is an emo/goth who is definitely outside of Ethan’s usual social circle. Ethan decides that they should write their screenplay so that it follows the storyline of movies like She’s All That and Pretty Woman while at the same time playing out those roles in real life.

Ethan turns Stephanie into a perfect picture of what a girl who would run in his social should look like. And, of course, the lines between what’s real and what’s for the sake of their screenplay begin to blur. As things like this tend to do.

I had trouble putting this book down for long. It even made me late to work! A good sign as far as books go.

The characters’ banter keeps up throughout most of the story. As far as heart wrenching, really make you feel something kind of story it was a bit lacking. I thought it was a bit easy to get pulled out of the story at odd places, which made it difficult to feel for the characters when it mattered most.  And there were a few times the writer could have given us a really good scene instead of telling something retrospectively. But the story made me laugh it was so funny. The scenes where Ethan and Stephanie are verbally going back and forth with each other are some of the best parts.

It was a quick, easy, fun read. The story takes place on a college campus, and I am really enjoying more books taking place there (even if this one does take place there during the summer). College aged novels are fun because they have a good amount of issues adults deal with, but at the same time all the confusion of growing up. And Isn’t She Lovely definitely has all of those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment