Pages

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Forgive Me by Eliza Freed ♥♥


Forgive Me (Lost Souls, #1)

Forgive Me by Eliza Freed is a book I came across on NetGalley; I had also seen quite a few authors promoting the book, so I decided to pick it up. It has a very compelling premise, but the story just wasn’t there for me.

Forgive Me starts out with Charlotte home from Rutgers for the summer. Her summer comes to a halt when her parents are killed in a car accident. And Jason, a former high school classmate and New Jersey cowboy, is there to pick up the pieces and mend her broken heart. This story takes place over two years, and in that time we watch Charlotte and Jason try and make a relationship work long distance since Jason goes to school and participates in rodeos in Oklahoma and around the mid-west.

Starting with what I liked, I would have to say the story is well written. The author obviously knows how to tell a story. And that’s about where it ends for me.

Charlotte spends most of the story in fear over Jason’s reaction to different situations. In some ways, she is obviously a strong person, but a person shouldn’t live in so much fear of their significant other.  She’s also willing to give up pretty much everything to someone who has her coming in second place to the rodeo. Yes, it’s a realistic view of some relationships, not everyone comes in first place with the person they love, but it was strange considering Jason wanted to be the number one priority where Charlotte was concerned.

I did not like Jason. He was stoic, which made for very little dialogue throughout the story, and especially when it was just Jason and Charlotte. He was domineering, held a lot of rage, and he always had to have things his way. He wants Charlotte in his life, but only on his terms.

There was also a lot of sex in this book. I think that is ok, but the characters used it as a way to get out of talking that they could have resolved many of their problems if they would just talk about them.

Lastly, the ending wasn’t unhappy, but it was a cliff hanger. Although, it was expected after a particular character was introduced half way through the story for no real reason. But I don’t think I will be reading the sequel.

Give the book a shot and let me know what you think. Have you read this book already? What do you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment